I’m Jimmie Holland and I have put my name forward for a position on the Village of Kaslo Council.
As a previous Councilor (2004-2005; 2012-2014) and Mayor (2006 -2008) I was given an opportunity by the electors to learn a great deal about Municipal politics and I am very pleased to offer that experience to support my community. And I enjoy it!
I have called Kaslo home for 35 years and have always been involved in the community. The skills that I have accumulated over the years are a great fit for what is desirable as a Councillor:
- I have operated several successful small businesses in Kaslo.
- I have raised 3 children in Kaslo.
- I have over 24 years of experience working on and with non-profit Boards, both professionally and as a volunteer.
- I have 8 years’ experience representing Kaslo as a Councillor, Mayor and Municipal Director at the RDCK.
- I have 6 years’ experience as a Director with Community Futures- Central Kootenay working with the Self Employment Program Committee – developing a strong entrepreneurial base in the Central Kootenay.
- I have been on the Columbia Basin Trust Rural Development Institute Advisory Working Group for 2 years, to represent Culture as one of the 4 pillars for rural development – Cultural, Economic, Environmental and Social.
My current interests revolve around economic development, entrepreneurship and the tourism industry which benefits directly from the development of arts and culture in our area. Kaslo is an incredibly unique community, with huge opportunities. Given the current economic volatility, these opportunities need to be identified and thoughtfully pursued, with the guidance of a comprehensive long term vision; developed by the residents of Kaslo, in a manner that is fiscally responsible. Our lifestyle and the folks that have chosen to live here are our greatest strengths and all our efforts have to complement those strengths. Be it our local businesses, or the attributes that have brought new residents and young families to our area in the last decade, these two strengths must be the number one priority of your local government.
I am hardworking and dedicated to a job well done, by always doing just a bit more than what is required and seeing things through to the end.
The main attributes that I can bring to the Council table are a spirit of respect, cooperation, compromise and a positive attitude.
Please vote on November 15th for the candidates of your choice and help shape Kaslo’s future.